Friday, September 19, 2008

Mango Maha Kaara Kuzambu

I was bored out of my mind this morning, and I decided to try out a recipe from Sun TV's "Aaha Enna Rusi" program. The recipe was for "Naalanju Meen Kuzambu", and I modified it for a vegetarian palate and renamed it as well.

I am as excited about the pictures of the recipe-in-progress, as the end product itself :) But it took me longer to create this blog than make this recipe.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
Ingredients:
9 pearl onions (purple is best)
12 garlic pieces
1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp red chilli powder (for 'maha' spicy)
(or)
1 tsp sambar powder (for less spicy version)
6 or 7 long mango pieces, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp of tamarind paste
Salt to taste
1 tbsp gingelly oil
5 or 6 curry leaves
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 pinch of asafoetida









Grind together 4 pearl onions, 5 garlic pieces, pepper and chilli powder together.
Heat oil in an iluppa chatti. Fry fenugreek seeds until they turn light red and add curry leaves later. Add a pinch of asafoetida for flavor.


Add chopped pearl onions and garlic; fry until the raw smell is gone. Add the mango pieces and fry until slightly seared and soft. Add the ground masala to this.


Add a little water, add the tamarind paste and salt, bring it to a boil. Reduce flame, cover and cook for 15 min.



Kuzambu is ready when it has thickened a bit. Enjoy this with rice, preferably, Jeera Samba ;)

1 comment:

SG said...

Instead of a comment I have a question. Today I saw in "Aaha Enna Rusi" how to make chicken briyani. They included 'annasi flower' and 'lemon juice' in the list of ingredients. But in the actual preparation they did not put these two. Can you tell me when to put these two items. Thanks. Rajan